Monday, April 7, 2008

The Lizard Man






Spring is officially here. I found my first tree lizard the other day while mowing and he was a big one! We have always had an abundance of these old "rusty" tree lizards in the many post oak trees that surround our house. Our youngest, Jordan, seemed to get along well with these creatures and caught his share of them during his growing up days. He took great delight in frightening his mother with them which usually led to a knot on his head or a bruised spot on his arm where she pinched the fire out of him! Beverly never did have a sense of humor when it came to a lizard, a mouse or a rat. She was more inclined to take a BB gun and shoot them off the side of the tree, and she became a pretty good shot with practice. Now, however, it is our grandson's turn. Taylor isn't like Jordan in his complete love for lizards and insects, but I did convince him that this lizard was still just too cold to move very fast. I told him I wanted a picture of him with it to show Uncle Jordan and at first he was not really sure, but finally he agreed. His facial expressions tell it all. I'll have to share with Taylor and you the story of how we came to find a grown iguana in our yard one day and how he came to live with us, made his escape for six weeks before he was recaptured. Finding a two and a half foot iguana lurking in your flower bed can be quite disconcerting. It did, however, explain some of the unusual noises we heard on the roof during that time.

4 comments:

Shelley said...

Those are GREAT pictures. He is so cute. I am not a big fan of lizards or snakes. Hopefully, my girls wont turn into lizard lovers!

ajphillips said...

I'm affraid Jordan hasn't changed any...he caught an amaradillo this weekend! Crazy Kid!

AnniePhil said...

hmmmm, I think I have more in common with my mother-in-law than with my cute nephew. Taylor looks so pleased with his creepy friend. :)

ajphillips said...

I meant "afraid"---I guess I can't spell today!