Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Farmer Dan and His Hired Help



Last Friday I helped my orchard neighbor do some plowing. He farms a lot of sorghum silage around the perimeter of the pecans in addition to working for a large dairy. He was way behind on his own farming so I agreed to help him get caught up. After an early morning flat on one of the big tractor duals I got started running a field cultivator over the fields that he wanted to plant this week.

Beverly, Taylor and Presley brought me lunch and that gave Taylor an opportunity to ride in the tractor with me which is one of his favorite things to do. Taylor is much more savvy about tractors (especially John Deere} than most 5 year old children. He can tell you the model numbers, whether it is a 4 wheel drive or if it is articulated. You can ask him what that means! Presley and Beverly even climbed in the cab for a few rounds and Presley seemed to enjoy it as much as Taylor.

Plowing always brings back a lot of memories from my growing up days on the farm where we learned to drive tractors pretty early in life. There is something about plowing that is soothing and relaxing to me, especially if you don't have to think too much about what you are doing! We got a good rain this week so the planting will have to wait but nobody is complaining.




1 comment:

Glenna said...

Looks like he had some great help there!!!!

The kittens are so cute too.