Sunday, April 6, 2014

Lucky The Green Parakeet

Do you ever have those moments when you wonder "what was I thinking?"   I know I have and one of those moments occurred this past summer while Taylor and Presley were here visiting.  As we were looking out the window we spotted an unusual bird feeding at the bird feeder.  Upon closer inspection with the binoculars we discovered that it was indeed a parakeet!

Being the type of grandfather that wants to please and impress my grand kids, I proceeded to show them how easy it would be to catch it.  And, as my luck would have it, I caught it!  I just walked out there and picked it up while it ate.  Now that's where the trouble began. They didn't want to turn it loose and I didn't want to disappoint them and to make things worse, I didn't have a cage to put it in.  But a quick trip to Walmart and $40.00 later we became the proud owners of Lucky, the green parakeet. The name Lucky came from Taylor. It reminded me of the joke about the notice someone posted about their lost dog. It read: Lost: small black, three legged dog. Blind in one eye, hard of hearing, recently neutered. Answers to the name of Lucky!!

Eight months later he is still a member of the family.  We think it's time for him to migrate on but we don't want to disappoint the kids.  So, for now Mr. Lucky remains lucky.  However, he might not think so! By the way, how long do parakeets live?
Lucky's new home. It comes complete with a maid! Her name is Beverly!
Taylor and Presley have grown fond of Lucky, which makes it hard to turn him loose!

No comments: