Wednesday, January 28, 2015

If It Wasn't For Don Williams.......

Back up 40 years ago and Don Williams was in his prime.  So was I for that matter.  But enough about me! What's really important is that Don Williams was involved in persuading Beverly to marry me.  Well, to be honest one of his songs might have helped turn the tide in my favor.

When Beverly and I met she really wasn't that crazy about me.  I know, that might be hard to believe, but she wasn't.  So, I had to come up with some innovative ways to help her understand that she really did want to spend her life with the likes of me!  So, I would come over and play my guitar and sing to her, trying my hardest to show her how much I liked her.   The song that did it and eventually became "our" song was Don Williams' "You're My Best Friend."  All our children know this story and understand that this song pretty well sums up our life and feelings toward each other.  So, now after 39 years of marriage, we still consider it pretty special.

That being said, Jordan surprised us with tickets to see him when he came to Abilene last November.  It was a wonderful concert as his music brought back so many memories of songs that have been favorites of ours for years.  Don is not physically in his prime anymore, nor am I, but he is still a master at singing those old favorites.  He is a man of few spoken words, but speaks beautifully through his singing.  Thanks Jordan and Ashley for a great date!













No comments: