Sunday, April 5, 2020

Progress, One Day At A Time

Progress on the greenhouse has been slow but it is coming along.   This has been a project built with a crew of two;  worker number one and worker number two.  That would be Danny and Beverly.  Our friend Mike Collett came over to help me put the ridge cap on but that's the extent of our help.  It was a project that took too long, but we are really proud of it.  So, hopefully we won't be crawling under the house next fall when that first blue northern come blowing in.

Honey, could you just climb up on that ladder and hang by your toenails
while you hold that ridge pole so I can just be sure that's the right height?
Thanks, you're such a good helper!

Now, just stay there while I get your picture, find my hammer and, oh, would
you mind stepping out there a little further and check to see if it's level?
Like I say, you're such a good helper!

What do mean "you quit?"
But, you were such a good helper!

Now look.  I'm having to do it by myself!

Looks like the carpenter is thinking!  He's probably thinking "what have I gotten
myself into?"  I don't know anything about carpentry!

No, don't do it!  You can do it!

It's beginning to look like a real greenhouse.  The windows came out of
the old house on the back lot.

Cedar siding gives it a good look and a good smell.

Rafters are up, ready for the roof!

I hired this model to help me, but she was more into climbing ladders.

Using these old windows may, or may not have been a good idea!  Someone
broke one of the panes which will have to be replaced.  In fact, there were a lot of missing 
panes!

Cute kids, getting excited to see what may be someday.

Presley loved using the drill.

Finally getting the roof panels on.  Looks like it was getting late!

Finishing up the next day.

You have to be creative getting those last panels up there!

One more on this side!


Adding a few finishing touches to the front.  Remember this was a
'design as you go" job so, adding this overhang to the front gave it a better look.

Ready for a door.  Now that was another story.  We wanted one with glass, but 
with one that looked old.  Oh, we wanted it to be cheap, too!

 
Found this one outside of Sassy Sauerkraut and Denise let me have it for $20.
When I got it home I discovered the termites had devoured the bottom six inches!
I had to cut some damage off and then glue a panel on the bottom and top to make it fit.

It's looking more and more finished.  I even see chairs in there.

Now for some shelves.

We used the same cedar to make the shelves.

A pretty pot of pansies to give the place some life!

We like looking out of the old windows that were salvaged and used for a new purpose.

We moved the old "fort" that was out in front of the greenhouse.

Looks like we are going to have to deal with the water coming off of the
roof that is splattering up on the side and staining the wood.

Looking through the front window it looks inviting.  Probably not in the summer though!

Just hanging out!

Finally got the "She Shed" sign up.  Jordan made it for his Mama last Christmas.

Now for some gravel in the bottom, some window latches and we will be
FINISHED!



No comments: